3CR is a community run station committed to providing media access to those traditionally denied a voice in the mainstream media. To reflect this, 3CR is open to a wide diversity of volunteers.
Volunteers are programmers, receptionists, members of the management committee and participate at every level in the running of the station.
To become a 3CR volunteer fill out the form below and email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 03 9419 8377 and ask for 3CR Volunteer Co-ordinator Rachel.
Why volunteer at 3CR?
- Become an independent programmer, providing alternative news, analysis, debate and music
- Be involved in an activist community
- Meet like-minded people
- Be part of the diversification of media
- Play a decision-making role in an alternative media outlet
Do you want to volunteer?
If yes, here are some points to consider:
- 3CR is a politically progressive station, facilitating community activism through independent media. Volunteers need to agree with the general 3CR philosophy and should have some understanding of the history of the station.
- You need to listen to 3CR, especially if you want to become involved in current affairs programming or have an idea for a new 3CR program.
- New programs are required to adhere to the 3CR philosophy AND offer something different to existing 3CR programs.
What can a volunteer do?
- Audio archiving
- Broadcasting building and maintenance
- Fundraising - events, ideas and financial consulting
- Gardening - we have a small courtyard with native plants
- Events - fundraising events, 3CR functions
- I.T. - advice and support
- Management committee - governance, meets monthly
- Podcasting - uploading 3CR programs as podcasts to the 3cr website
- Promotions - publicity, marketing, stalls, merchandise, design
- Reception - front of house, three hour shifts during business hours – taking phone calls, meet-and-greet, administration
- Station Duty (for experienced 3CR volunteers only) three hour shifts after hours consist of being responsible for the functioning of the station during that time.
- Website design and maintainence.
If you're interested in programming, general volunteering, radio training, or have an idea for a new program you will need to:
- Listen to 3CR
- Fill out the volunteer registration form or call the volunteer co-ordinator on 03 9419 8377 for a form to be posted or faxed. You'll be contacted within three weeks regarding your application.
- If accepted, you'll be invited to an orientation which takes about an hour. This includes an opportunity to discuss your involvement with 3CR and a tour of the station.
- All volunteers and programmers need to be current 3CR subscribers which you can do here.
Contact details for 3CR (post, fax and address) can be found on our contact page.